In the blink of an eye, your pet can go from healthy to needing emergency vet services. Often it is because of something entirely beyond your control. Both dogs and cats are pretty good at self-preservation, but that doesn’t mean they won’t do something they shouldn’t have and end up in trouble. Here are the most common reasons why you should consider emergency vet services.
- Poisoning- There are many things you should take care not to let your pet ingest, including human medications, many species of plants, grapes and raisins, chocolate, household chemicals, rodent control bait/poison, and more. It is critical to seek emergency vet services so that immediate treatment can begin. Once the poison is absorbed into their system, it may be very difficult or impossible for your pet to recover.
- Trauma- Pet versus moving vehicle never ends well for the pet. Even if your pet seems okay, there is the potential for internal damage. Trauma from falls and bites should also be given prompt attention.
- Collapse- If your pet collapses and cannot get back up, even if they are still conscious, you should seek emergency vet services as many problems that create this symptom are life-threatening.
- Breathing Issues- There are many causes for breathing issues with some being minor, but others life-threatening. As you do not have medical experience, it is impossible to tell which is the case, so heading to the vet right away is important.
- Digestive Issues- If your pet is vomiting persistently, has diarrhea, is having difficulty passing urine or is urinating more frequently, is refusing to eat, or tries to vomit after a large meal but cannot, it is important to seek immediate vet services. A serious condition that can affect large dog breeds is GDV, which is when the stomach becomes twisted and must be treated promptly to save the dog’s life.
- Neurological Problems- If your dog exhibits symptoms such as severe lethargy, disorientation, unresponsiveness, lapses into a coma, has a seizure, or is walking in circles, do not delay in seeking emergency vet services.
Our staff at Plaza Veterinary Hospital understands that many medical issues simply cannot wait. Our referral system allows you access to emergency vet services so your concerns can be addressed and your pet gets the care they need. If your pet is exhibiting any of these symptoms or their behavior concerns you, don’t hesitate to contact us.